Saturday, November 29, 2008

Anticipation Cookies


On Election Day (hereafter referred to as "Obama Day"), I took the day off work so I could be sure to vote. I walked to my polling place at 10 am, voted in less than 5 minutes, then started freaking out because THERE WAS NOTHING MORE I COULD DO. I realize this is not entirely true, but since I was suffering from election exhaustion and could not bear the idea of braving the streets to beg others to vote on my party's lines. I did make some calls from the Obama site, which made me feel a little better, but also creeped out by the fact that it was so easy to get people's first and last names, phone number, age and sex. And polling place. Anyway, I passed a little more time by baking cookies. This particular recipe comes from the inside of the oatmeal container and is called "Vanishing Oatmeal Cookies." Magic!

-2 sticks softened butter
-1 cup firmly packed brown sugar

-1/2 cup granulated sugar
-2 eggs
-1 teaspoon vanilla
-1 1/2 cups flour
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-1 teaspoon cinnamon
-1/2 teaspoon salt
-3 cups oats
-1 cup raisins (I used the rest of what I had, plus handfuls of chocolate chips and walnuts)

Heat oven to 350. Beat together butter and sugars until creamy. Add eggs and vanilla; beat well. Combine flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, add to egg mixture. Mix well. Stir in oats and raisins, etc. Drop in rounded tablespoons onto an un-greased cookie sheet (I used an ice cream scoop for ease and extra large cookies). Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool one minute on cookie sheet, then transfer to wire rack.

They worked! Obamarama!

No comments: