Thursday, October 2, 2008

Pot Roast

I have had a hankering for some pot roast since the first day it started to feel like fall. Here's how it went down:

Ingredients:

2 lb beef chuck Shredded/chopped/minced carrots, onions, and garlic
Various spices
Red Wine

Brown the beef on all sides w/ butter and a little flour. Add shredded carrots (I used 2, do not grate your fingers), 1 chopped onion, and 3 minced garlic cloves. Fill pot with water up to about 1/4 of height of roast. I added about a cup of red wine. This smells amazing. As for spices, my dad suggested thyme, and other recipes suggested marjoram and bay leaf. I have bay leaves but never have actually used them in cooking, so this was a must. Remember to remove bay leaf when you are finished, they are not totally edible. Dashes of thyme and marjoram. Also smells amazing. Cover and cook for about an hour, flipping the beef once. Keep the heat low so the juice doesn't boil like crazy. After an hour, scoop some of the juice/water/wine mix out into a small bowl and whisk in some flour to the thickness of your liking. Think gravy. Return this concoction to the pot. Chop up some potatoes, carrots and onions and add them to the pot. I may have added way too many potatoes, but hey, I'm Irish. Cook until the meat is tender and the potatoes are done.

No comments: