Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Did I ever tell you how to make Margherita Pizza on the grill?

I thought not. I made this during the height of the tomato onslaught of '08, and was quite good.
Start with one of those Betty Crocker "just add water" pizza crusts. Make it according to directions (by adding water, I presume), and roll it out on a floured surface. I put mine on this metal grate-thing that is supposed to be for grilling vegetables that would otherwise fall through the grates of the grill. Help with a name, anyone? Or, if you are feeling brave, you can just paint some olive oil on the surface of the crust and toss in on the grill, oil-side down. Grill for a few minutes; long enough for the crust to be done on the outside, but not cooked all the way through. Brush the top of the crust with oil and flip it over. This was the hardest part for me, I think because I didn't have enough oil on the crust. Once flipped, top the pizza with round cuts of fresh mozzarella cheese, about 3 chopped tomatoes, a few handfuls of chopped fresh basil leaves, maybe 1/3 cup chopped red onion, and salt and pepper. Grill until the cheese melts, which is not very long.


"It's Delicious!" --Steve McPherson

No comments: