Sunday, September 7, 2008

State Fair 08!

Sorry I have fallen behind on my posting, I blame my computer and the internet for being rude to me. Also... State Fair!! Thank you to the 2-4 people who have continued to look at my blog daily. I seriously doubt it is on purpose. Allow me to return to business with a gastronomical summary of my two (2!) trips to the Minnesota State Fair. Beautiful. Let us begin with day one with Steve and Nell...bring on the unflattering photos

Steve was immediately drawn to the "Big Fat Bacon" stand...rightfully so. The bacon is large, is on a stick and is glazed with maple. Yes.

Mini Donuts...The world's most perfect breakfast food.

Sausage by The Sausage Sisters. Chunks of Sausage wrapped in some kind of breadiness, smothered in spicy peanut sauce.

Lemonade in a classic State Fair cup.

Cheese Curds. This picture will make everyone who has moved away from Minnesota insanely jealous and everyone else insanely nauseated.

I call this one the Bluth Banana. Chocolate-covered frozen banana with sprinkles (or jimmies, depending on how you roll). Sorry about the suggestive nature of this photo.

Sno-cone. Steve asked the vendor what the best flavor is, and without hesitation he replied, "Blue raspberry and lime." He was right.

Nell noms on some french fries.


Day Two with Amanda and Margaret!
Pronto pup. They use a paint brush to apply the ketchup and mustard.

The best damn ear of corn you will ever eat. I am not really sure how they do it. And they have compost bins for the ears. My personal trainer inexplicably called me at this point in my day at the fair, asked me what I was eating, and congratulated me on how well I was doing so far. Glad she didn't call me on day one.

Sweet Martha's Cookies and All-You-Can-Drink Milk. This is a feat, considering you have to jog half way across the fairgrounds from the cookie stand to the milk booth while carrying a teetering pile of piping hot cookies. It is truly a tragedy to see how many cookies fall to the ground and are stomped on my humans and animals alike. Milk and cookies go really well together, it turns out.

Best deal of the day! You buy a pitcher of really crappy beer and get a basket of fries for free! A total steal at 18.75. Not joking.

This was a new one for me: Walleye cakes from this place called Giggles. I guess it was the best new food at the fair in 2002 and I was still all caught up with getting my cheese curds and seeing the butter heads. These babies have walleye, salmon, wild rice and panko flakes in them...ohhhh so delicious. Excellent while watching the lumberjack show.

Aaaand finally, Australian battered potatoes by moonlight. I only ate a few bites of these but are adorable because they come with an Australian flag in them, and are smothered in ranch dressing. When I tried them, I thought of when Aunt Selma tries smoking a cigar for the first time and said, "That's like smoking five cigarettes at once!" Well, think of french fries x5. And smothered in ranch dressing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

those cheese curds look SO tasty! I'm just about crying thinking about the sweet marthas and milk...

pp said...

Calley These photos are so good, the state fair marketing committee will be calling you.