Monday, August 4, 2008

Drop a Beet!


I bought into a CSA this summer, and have been picking up a basket full of homegrown goodies weekly. One of the veggies I never knew I liked before is beets. I was pretty unsure of what I should be doing with these ruby beauties, but my sister suggested a recipe with balsamic vinegar and sugar. I was able to round up this one:

Peel and quarter 7-9 beets
Combine in a pan (preferably a super cute heart-shaped Le Creuset) with
-1 1/2 cups water
-3/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
-2 tablespoons butter

Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Simmer down until most of the liquid is gone.
This stuff is good! And I've heard beets are pretty much the best veggie you can feed yourself.

But be careful! These things will stain anything they touch. And I have also heard that they turn your pee red. So watch out. Nell has a funny story about this.



Also, I am watching Purple Rain right now and I reaaaaally wish I could have been at First Ave when Prince was singing "Baby I'm A Star" in a pirate outfit. Awesome.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's cute that you were watching purple rain while eating a purple food. Did you do that on purpose?
Jessuefey