Thursday, February 19, 2009

Chicken Soup For Your Mouth


Hey. You know what is really, really good? Chicken soup. And apparently it is good for you too. For your soul. And your hunger. This particular recipe came from the wrapper of one of those 5 pound roaster chickens. I made some modifications based on what I had in the freezer, and added about three times the amount of noodles recommended because they are SO GOOD. I made this once and then made it again a week later because I couldn't stop thinking about it.


2 Tbsp olive oil
1 c. sliced carrots
1 c. chopped onions
1 c. sliced celery
1 chopped red pepper
1 4-5 lb chicken
10 c. water (part or all can be broth, I used about half broth)
1 Tbsp salt
3/4 c (or the whole bag) frozen egg noodles
3/4 c. peas
3/4 c. frozen or canned corn
1/2 tsp thyme (plus other spices--I used rosemary and herbes de provence)

Saute carrots, onions, celery, peppers in oil for about 5 minutes or until tender. Add chicken, water/broth, salt & pepper, and spices. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.


Remove the chicken and skim the fat (I don't really get how to do this yet). Bring to a boil again and add noodles, peas and corn. Boil vigorously for about 10 minutes or until noodles are tender. This may take a little longer if you are using an entire bag of noodles, which I recommend.
Meanwhile, take the meat off the chicken, discard the skin and bones, and shred the meat. Add the chicken back to the soup and enjoy!

This makes quite a lot of soup, so there will be leftovers. Since there is so many noodles, a lot of the liquid gets absorbed while saving. When I reheat this, I rehydrate it with a little extra broth. I like using beef or veggie broth to change the flavor just a little bit. MMMM...soup.

No comments: